Skip to main content

Black, Red & Green...

The black, red & green flag or variations of it has been a symbol of black/African emancipation since the 1920s. The most popular version is the Marcus Garvey created "Pan-African flag" which has red on top, black centre & green at the bottom.


These colours are used in official flags of a few African countries which are: Kenya, South Sudan & Malawi. I do not believe it's an ethnic flag as many ethnicities use it & could vary in symbolism for various lands but for me, it could be; black for the night sky or people of that land, red for the blood of that people's forefathers & green for the land of those people. It is also used as the flag of the Biafran independence movement.

Kenya.

South Sudan.

Malawi.

In South Africa; the horizontal colour scheme is also used by the IFP's student brigade called SADESMO. 

In the Arab world, it has been used by the Kingdom of Libya (1951) & vertical colour scheme used by Afghanistan under Taliban rule (2004). 

Popular posts from this blog

History of the Mpofana by Mthoko M. Mpofana

I'm not very traditional, I'm more straightforward & basic & often disregard cultural nuances so this history of the Mpofana tribe is going to be as direct & concise as possible.  Growing up, I grew up knowing that the clan praises or izithakazelo of the Mpofana are "Zulu" & "Ntombela", I never questioned that.  What I know now for sure is that there's a lot more that's hidden in history. What I keep seeing being repeated from various sources is that the Mpofana were part of the Amazizi (or AmaTiti) tribe. I now know that in the midlands & perhaps further north, up to the northwestern parts of KZN, they use the greeting "MaZizi okuhlala", perhaps alluding to the fact that the Mpofana as well as other Amazizi tribes were among the original tribes to settle in present-day KZN from 200 AD onwards & the "Dlamini" praise or greeting was used among all Dlamini tribes i. e. the Amahlubi, Amazizi (Mtiti), Hlangwini

Sentiments on Eswatini...

I have never been to Eswatini , yet I appreciate it's existence. I appreciate Swazi history & appreciate it's importance in the history of south-east Africa. I'll always promote Swazi products & wishes as if I am Swazi myself. I appreciate the fact that, both as African & Ngoni, Eswatini is the last absolute monarchy in Africa. East African countries in general (as well as some central & west African countries) are close to my heart because I believe we share a common history so even if I were to obtain any real power, east African countries will still be seen as family to me albeit distant family. From our flags, physical appearance, languages & mutual intelligibility; I'll always know where my roots are located.  Eswatini is, especially, important to me because it is said to be where my forefathers originate. So everything Swazi on media, I'll always look at as if it is done by my very own nation or countrymen.  I also believe Eswat